Loading...

The Animator's Hat

On this drizzly, overcast winter afternoon, the fog is thick and too heavy to allow for any bird watching. In the cool, grey light of the window, as I decided to become acquainted with The Dog’s old tennis ball instead, The Animator sits in his new crocheted hat, trying a peach-flavored tobacco in his new hookah, reading The Dune Encyclopedia, while The Animator’s Wife runs up and down the stairs with seven loads of laundry.
Selena & Tennis Ball
Apparently the deal when they got married was that she would do the laundry if he took out the trash. Somehow, I think The Animator got the better end of the bargain.
Animator & Hookah
Ah, well. While The Animator’s Wife is busy with the laundry, perhaps I will share with you her pattern for The Animator’s Hat, which she made to match his Transformers scarf. It’s a typical top-down affair worked in the round, except that she joins and turns between rounds. This allows for seamless color changes when a striped pattern is desired.
Animator's Hat
Finished Size:
Fits average man’s head (22” circumference)

Skill Level:
Easy.

Materials:
MC: 1 skein Cascade 220
CC: 1 skein Cascade 220
Size J-10 (6.0 mm) crochet hook

We have everything you need to make this pattern at Crochet Kitten's Bazaar!

Gauge:
7 rnds = 4" across.

With MC, ch 2.

Rnd 1. 8 hdc in second ch from hook. Join with sl st to first hdc in rnd. 8 hdc.

Rnd 2. Ch 2; turn. 2 hdc in flo of ea hdc around. Join with sl st to first hdc in rnd. 16 hdc.

Rnd 3. Ch 2; turn. Hdc in flo of first hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc, *1 hdc in flo of next hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc; rep from * around. Join with sl st to first hdc in rnd. 24 hdc.

Rnd 4. Ch 2; turn. Hdc in flo of first 2 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc, *hdc in flo of next 2 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc; rep from * around. Join with sl st to first hdc in rnd. 32 hdc.

Rnd 5. Ch 2; turn. Hdc in flo of first 3 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc, *hdc in flo of next 3 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc; rep from * around. Join with sl st to first hdc in rnd. 40 hdc.

Rnd 6. Ch 2; turn. Hdc in flo of first 4 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc, *hdc in flo of next 4 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc; rep from * around. Join with sl st to first hdc in rnd. 48 hdc..

Rnd 7. Ch 2; turn. Hdc in flo of first 5 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc, *hdc in flo of next 5 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc; rep from * around. Join with sl st to first hdc in rnd. 56 hdc..

Rnd 8. Ch 2; turn. Hdc in flo of first 6 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc, *hdc in flo of next 6 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc; rep from * around. Join with sl st to first hdc in rnd. 64 hdc.

Rnd 9. Ch 2; turn. Hdc in flo of first 7 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc, *hdc in flo of next 7 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc; rep from * around. Join with sl st to first hdc in rnd. 72 hdc.

Rnd 10. Ch 2; turn. Hdc in flo of first 8 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc, *hdc in flo of next 8 hdc, 2 hdc in flo of next hdc; rep from * around. Join with sl st to first hdc in rnd. 80 hdc..

Rnd 11. Ch 2; turn. Hdc in flo of ea hdc around. Join with sl st to first hdc in rnd.

Rnds 12-18. Rep rnd 11.

Change to CC.

Rnds 19-21. Rep rnd 11.

Change to MC.

Rnds 22-24. Rep rnd 11.

Change to CC.

Rnd 25. Rep rnd 11. Finish off. Weave in all ends.

Abbreviations:
CC contrasting color
ch chain
ea each
flo front loops only
hdc half-double crochet
MC main color
mm millimeter
rep repeat
rnd round
rnds rounds
sl st slip stitch
yd yard

Care Instructions
Hand-wash lukewarm water. Gently squeeze; air dry flat.
©CrochetKitten.com 2008. All rights reserved.

35 comments:

  1. pretty! In my house, hubby does the laundry adn I fold it. That way he gets to do the heavy lifting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pattern. I was looking for one like this and was going to figure it our myself - now I don't have to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you. I love you. I love you. I've been looking everywhere for Transformers crochet stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. got sheesha? thats a brilliant pattern! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a dumb question but if I want a flap to turn up, I can just add more rows, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does the beginning ch2 and the ch2 at the beginning of each round count as a hdc?

    Rnd 3, ch2; turn. Hdc in flo of 1st hdc: Does this Hdc go in same st as the ch2?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello loopy! Not a stupid question, but yes, I would keep doing 1 hdc in ea hdc around until the hat is long enough to turn up at the bottom.

    As for the beg ch, no I was not counting them as an hdc, so do not hdc in the beg ch-2. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Selena. You answered my questions. And also, thank you for sharing your patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi. i have two questions about this pattern. when you connect with the slip stitch should it be in the flo, or both?

    also, i've never turned when working in the round. if i turn the work towards me and then (after chaining 2), start in the last hdc i worked, right?

    thanks for your time and the pattern. it's hard to find a crocheted guy's hat that looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. me again. have figured out that the slip stitch goes through both. and turning seems to be working too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi gwenamom! I was just getting ready to reply to your comment but it appears you figured it out already! Let me know if you have any other problems.

    ReplyDelete
  12. me again! when you say 4" across for gauge, do you mean full diameter? i'm making this hat for someone with a circumference of 23 1/4 inches. i was thinking i'd increase in rows 11 and 12 too, according to the pattern. do you have another suggestion? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello again gwenamon! Yes, the gauge is 4" across the diameter of the project. And I would agree that doing an extra set of increase rows should make it large enough to fit a 23" head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I'm trying to add two additional colours to match a four-colored scarf, can I just do the turns every time without it messing up everything? Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Catherine! You can change colors at the beginning of any row and still have seamless stripes. Just don't change colors in the middle of a row and you'll be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Selena: This pattern looks perfect for what I am trying to make my son. However, even though I tend to crochet tight, my guage is way, way too big. Just to be sure, 7 rows, across the diameter should be just 4 inches, right? I think I need to drop down a hook size. mmm...
    Thanks, Ina

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would definitely go down a hook size if your gauge is very far off. Alternatively, you could do one or two fewer rounds of increases (in other words, skip rounds 9 and/or 10) to make the hat the correct diameter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would like to make this for my husband using wool yarn. I would also like to felt it once it's finished. Any suggestions on how much bigger it should be so that it will felt down to the correct size?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi mischievouspixee! If it were me, I'd do 3 more rounds of increases, then felt it until it's the right size.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I am trying to do this hat, how do you turn?

    ReplyDelete
  21. You turn just as you would if you were working on a flat project. If the inside of the hat is facing you, turn it so the outside is facing you, and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just used this pattern to make my first hat! Patterns are usually hieroglyphics to me; I learned to crochet from my grandmother, who didn't know the names for any of these stitches we just do, so I had to look up what a half double crochet is only to find it's what I already default to! This was nice and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing. your site is constantly monitored and also recommend to friends

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nice crocheted hat! I'm going to try it out! I will let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am going for my third try with this pattern, by the time I get to the 8 th round I just have a flat circle, not the right shape. What could I be doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it sounds like you're doing it perfectly! The hat is flat until you get to the repeat rows (12-18); then it starts to curve down into a hat shape.

      Delete
  26. is the number at the very end of each rnd how many hdc there should be in that round?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! It's to help you make sure you're doing the pattern correctly. If there's no number at the end of the round, then the number of hdc is the same as in the previous round.

      Delete
  27. This is great. I cannot wait to try it! Thank you for putting this together!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really want to try this pattern but I don't understand how you start this... if you chain 2, how do you do 8 hdc in one small chain?? Pictures depicting the process would be REALLY helpful as I don't understand how you start this without a circle... Further instruction would be really, really helpful... I feel like I'm beginning to be a beginner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you're having trouble with the beginning! If you can't fit 8 hdc in the one ch st, you could always start with a magic loop instead. See this tutorial: http://crochetkitten.blogspot.com/2012/07/magic-loop.html

      You would work 8 hdc in the magic loop and then move on to rnd 2 of this pattern. :)

      Delete
    2. You are amazing and wonderful. Thank you so much =)

      Delete
  29. I started this project yesterday with the J hook, measured my gauge at row 7 and realized way to big, so I went down to an I hook, measured again and it's still too big measuring at 5". What do you recommend I do? I counted and re-counted and the pattern is fine. Could it be the yarn I am using?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. Are you using worsted weight? Another option is you could stop the increasing rounds a couple of rounds sooner (those are the rounds worked before round 12, which starts the rounds that are worked evenly). Basically all you need to do is continue increasing until the hat is the same circumference or just a bit smaller than your head, and then work evenly until the hat is as long as you'd like it to be.

      Delete